Thursday, June 26, 2008

Eight Hundred

Last night as I was stamping numbers into a set of heads that I was preparing to port, I realized that I had reached a milestone of sorts. This set of heads will be the 800th set of Harley heads that I have ported and flowed in the 19 years that I have been doing this work.


I thought it would be interesting to break that down into the different head types, so this morning I took a look at my records and here are the results:


  • 417 sets of Evolution heads

  • 142 sets of Twin Cam heads

  • 101 sets of Shovel heads

  • 87 sets of aftermarket heads (such as S&S, Screamin' Eagle, etc.)

  • 32 sets of XL heads

  • 16 sets of Knuckle or Pan heads

  • 5 sets other (Indian PowerPlus 100, etc.)

I have to say that I was a bit surprised to see how many Evolution heads I have done compared to Twin Cams. I guess it makes sense though; Twin Cams have only been in existence for half of that time.

Among the next 800 sets, I hope to do more Knuckleheads and Shovelheads. The Knuckles because I would like to do more R&D on them to see just how good they can be made to flow. The Shovels ....well, I already have some new ideas that I would like to try out. Modern equipment including the latest in wet flow technology should reveal some untapped potential in these antique castings.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good, about wanting to do more Shovels. I have a set that someday I will have you do some work on. Picked them up used, and one seat is missing. They will be some good ones to use on a future LSR bike.

St. Lee said...

That sounds like fun, and right up my alley!