Saturday, March 30, 2019

Motorcycle Drag Races Return to Humbolt Iowa, July 6, 2019


The 4th of July weekend motorcycle drag races are making a return to Humboldt in 2019.  The one day event will take place on Saturday July 6, and is being held in conjunction with the annual A.B.A.T.E. Freedom rally in nearby Algona.  Since this venue and holiday cannot help but bring back memories of Tator Gilmore's legendary Iowa Hog Drags of the 1980s and '90s, I thought it appropriate to post some of my pictures from the 1985 event, where I, and probably some others, got our feet wet in actual legal, sanctioned drag racing.


The tank shell on this fuel bike tells me this must be Jamie Morocco, "Mr Big"
 


Kevin Cleary on "Hell Bound Train"


Not 100% sure on this one, but I think it might be Tony Drexler's fueler.  Note a sizable portion of the front cylinder has left the immediate vicinity!



Staging Lanes


The young whipper snapper kneeling behind his Sportster is none other than Doug Vancil.  As I recall he was 16 years old at the time, and not only won his street bike class, he won the shoot out between the other street class winners.

The return road  (My understanding is that it is now paved)

The joint effort Bobby and I brought to the race next to the single rail open trailer it arrived on, settled in the lush pit area

Bobby about to line up for a pass

Nothing like success to "set the hook" for a lifelong passion

And then, as daylight began to fade, we were "photo bombed" by this guy who didn't even have a drag bike.  I think they called him "Willie G something-or-other.

So, since the question will probably come up ... Yes, God willing, "The Knuckledragger" will very likely put in an appearance at the 2019 version of this event.  After all, if you look close at the flyer you may notice a couple shots of my bike as part of the background.  One last thing.  Props to Jay Rogers for putting a lot of work into making this "new" event happen and especially for his efforts to get a field of fuel Harleys together.

3 comments:

Motorcycle Riding Gear said...

Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for.
womens biker apparel
best motorcycle jeans

St. Lee said...

If all of these spam comments were from a legitimate company, they would send me a pair of their Kevlar gloves (for drag racing) to evaluate. Barring that - you may as well just put your credit card info on FaceBook and hope for the best...