Thursday, January 4, 2007

What's in a Name?

So, after toying with the idea for a couple years, and following a half dozen blogs for about a year, I finally decided to make the plunge and start one of my own. I have a couple of goals in mind. If you read my profile you will see that I have been a Harley mechanic/engine builder for over 30 years. I have also owned and ridden Knuckleheads for a like amount of time. For over 10 years of that time I was heavily involved in drag racing, most of it on a Knucklehead. I would like to pass on some of the things I have learned about Harley engines in general, and vintage Harley engines in particular, to anyone who cares to read it. Some of what I write on this subject will be fact, and some opinion (I will try to present it that way). I hope to get some feedback that may help all of us learn something! I also would like to tell a few tales of the early days of drag racing (early being a relative term).

The second goal of this blog is to provide an outlet for my seemingly unquenchable urge to proclaim the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. After living most of my adult life as a "biker" (what some would call a hard-core biker for a good part of that time), in the spring of 1999 God saved me by his grace (Ephesians 2:8), took away my heart of stone and gave me a heart of flesh (Ezekiel 36:26), and I was born again (John 3:3). Though I have no formal training, by God's providence I was able to listen to 4 sermons a week in person for the next 6 years, and often as many as a half dozen a week on tape. For a couple of those years I was privileged to preach regularly as part of a jail ministry (now there is a real captive audience). There are a lot of sermons inside of me still straining to get out. I could simply write them on my computer and press save, but I guess a sermon is not a sermon unless there is at least the chance someone may hear it. Please don't let the term "sermon" scare you away though.

By now you are probably starting to get an idea of how the name of this blog came about. On the face of it, it is just the two separate subjects this blog is about, combined into one name.

Looking a little deeper though, you may find another level. If you are reading this because of the Harley Knucklehead content, and you are a long time Knucklehead fanatic,you will no doubt understand the connection. Ever heard the slogan "God rides a Harley"? or "If God rides a Harley, it probably runs on NITRO!" If knuckleheads were to hold the status of gods, then I hope to expound a little on the "theology" of those gods.

If , on the other hand, you are reading this because of the Christian content, you may (especially if you disagree with the doctrine I hold to) simply see the "Knucklehead" portion of the blog's name as an adjective used to describe the "Theology".

Now, to be perfectly transparent, this is not an attempt on my part to lure in an audience of bikers that came to read about Harleys, so I can "slip in the gospel" as many modern "evangelical churches" might operate. I fully expect that readers (if any) will come to this blog for either the Harley content or the Christian content. I did not intend to intermingle the two in the same post, however as time goes on, I have come to realize that I cannot, nor should I, separate my Christianity from the rest of my life. If you are a Christian, you too no doubt, have realized that it permeates every area of your life. So, if someone comes for the Harley content, but also gets caught up in the Christian posts, it will make me a very happy man.

Therefore, I am updating these last few lines of what I wrote here back in January of 2007, so that going forward from this day in April of 2011, you will see more posts in which Harley content and Christian content share space. By God's grace, that reflects who I am.
St.Lee

No comments: