Saturday, August 7, 2010

Drag Racing - a Family Sport

Perhaps it is genetic. After a couple of years absence from the annual "soapbox" race as part of our local Shakopee Derby Days celebration, my grandson Max came out of retirement for this year's event. Max, seen here in the far lane, seems to have perfected a type of "body english" which seemed to aid his mid track acceleration.

The hard right turn Max executed at the end of the race was also reminiscent of numerous passes from my own drag racing career when it was questionable whether I would finish in the same lane I started in.

One thing that caught my attention is the huge increase in payouts compared to back when I raced. Max walked off with $15 cash as well as certificates for two free Dairy Queen treats. Awe... maybe its just that he's not drag racing motorcycles; it seems that racing on four wheels has always payed better than on two....

No comments: