Saturday, April 26, 2008

Donnie Smith Bike Show 2008


We are nearing a month since the Donnie Smith Bike Show was held in St. Paul this year. As usual, it was a huge success, and enjoyed greatly by exhibitors and spectators alike. This year's event drew over 16,000 through the doors.

One of the neat things associated with the show, was that my friend and customer Joe had his Flathead Big Twin displayed there. This is the bike who's engine was the subject of my series on a stroker Flathead engine build. Technically this was not its debut, since he rode it around Sturgis last summer, but certainly it was the first time it has been entered in a bike show. Congrats to Joe for taking home a couple trophies! His Flathead not only took best in class in the "Vintage Modified", but his display took an overall 2nd place for best display.







Joe's '44 Big Twin Flathead








Joe's display featured blown up pictures from the movie The Wild One. My guess is that hardly anyone there caught on to all the details of his display. He even had a trophy made up with the character portrayed by Marlon Brando's name on it!







More of Joe's display








Besides helping my friend Neil Ryan (the show's promoter) with set up, I also had a booth there to promote my business. Since the latest project bike I had in the works was nearly done, I spent the extra time to finish it up for the show. While I decided to display it in my booth rather than enter it in the show, I must say it received rave reviews.
In case anyone is interested, P2 (as I refer to it) is an 80" Knuckle using S&S flywheels and a Paughco frame; for sale at $23,900. Here are a couple pictures.






Check out the Holley downdraft carb!





















My latest completed project.












A few other bikes which I had at least a small hand in over the last year are pictured below.






I fit the main bearings on Jason's Pan. He took it from there.

















Kevin's Knuck motor was completely rebuilt in my shop, finished just in time for the show.








Hard to believe that just 2 weeks prior to the show I was replacing the exhaust spigots on Dave's Pan. Kokesh did the balance of the work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pieces of machinery Lee!
I still think the Harley engine was an engineering marvel.......


Billy